[Official] Step By Step Guide To Setting Up Your Own Remote Masternode

This is a guide originally written by PIVX developer @s3v3nh4cks. I’m just pinning it here for all to see.

FYI - If you will be running more than one Masternode, YOU WILL REQUIRE A UNIQUE PUBLIC IP FOR EACH MASTERNODE

This guide is for the creation of separate Controller Wallet & Masternode.

For Security reasons, THIS IS THE PREFERRED way to run a Masternode. By running your Masternode in this way you are protecting your coins in your private wallet, and are not required to have your local wallet running after the Masternode has been started successfully. You will receive your rewards.

OK, here is how to setup multiple PIVX masternodes.

I am going to use RPis as the masternodes in this example, with a wallet on your laptop acting as the controller, I am also going to write this for 2 masternodes, but the directions could be expanded to as many as you want. The concept could also be changed around as you please using VPSs or other computers as your masternodes, as well as something else for the controller. If using a VPS, or pivxd as opposed to the Qt wallet, all of the commands that are to be entered in the console should be entered on the command line preceded by “./pivx-cli”

for example; “./pivx-cli masternode genkey”

This should go without saying, but don’t enter the quotation marks when entering commands.

Step 1: From the very begining, on your laptop in the console enter “masternode genkey” twice, and enter “getaccountaddress MN1” and “getaccountaddress MN2”, the MN1 and MN2 could be substituted with any name you would like to call the masternode addresses.

Step 2: Send 10k PIV to each of the addresses generated in step 1, making sure to send exactly 10k, in one transaction to each. Now, execute “masternode outputs” in the console of your laptop wallets.

Step 3: Open the masternode.conf file in the data directory of your laptop’s wallet and edit it. In one line for each masternode follow this format:

ALIAS IP:51472 MASTERNODEPRIVKEY TRANSACTIONHASH INDEX.

The ALIAS can be anything you want it to be, but for simplicities sake it may be best to use the name you used for the wallet addresses, MN1 and MN2 in this example. The IP is the IP where the masternode wallet can be found. The MASTERNODEPRIVKEY is the output from the command “masternode genkey” you entered earlier.

The TRANSACTIONHASH and INDEX are the output you received when you executed “masternode outputs” earlier.

Step 4: Open the pivx.conf file in the data directory of the controller wallet, again, on the laptop in this example,

Modify the contents to match this:

rpcuser=long random username
                 rpcpassword=longer random password
                 rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
                 listen=0
                 server=1
                 daemon=1
                 logtimestamps=1
                 maxconnections=256

Step 5: Close the wallet and restart it.

Step 6: Open the pivx.conf file in the data directory of one of your masternode wallets, on a RPi in this example. modify the contents of the file to look like this:

rpcuser=long random username
                 rpcpassword=longer random password
                 rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
                 listen=1
                 server=1
                 daemon=1
                 logtimestamps=1
                 maxconnections=256
                 masternode=1
                 externalip=<your unique public ip address>
                 bind=<your unique public ip address>:51472
                 masternodeaddr=<your unique public ip address>
                 masternodeprivkey=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Replacing the username and password with your own, and replacing the X’s with the masternode private key that corresponds to the masternode alias you would like for this masternode.

Step 7: Close and restart the wallet.

Step 8: Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other masternodes.

Step x: Now, both of your masternodes are setup, you just need to start them, you will do this with the controlling wallet on your laptop. Open the console of the controlling wallet and enter “masternode start-many” you should get an output something like this:
{
“overall” : “Successfully started 2 masternodes, failed to start 0, total 2”,
“detail” : {
“status” : {
“alias” : “mn1”,
“result” : “successful”
},
“status” : {
“alias” : “mn2”,
“result” : “successful”
}
}
Done.

Verifying Your Masternode
Now, to verify that your masternodes are working fine, you can follow the steps in the following guide:
** How to check if masternode is working and will receive payments

Cant figure out IP address setup - at what stage does this takes place?

I am really new on it. Could you tell me if it is possible to have two or more IP address in just one computer?

Yes. You can run multiple masternodes on a same PC or VPS if you have access to multiple “external” IP addresses.
(meaning multiple public IP addresses that are reachable from the internet)

When sending PIVX the transaction says that it will use any funds available, is it possible that the money is getting out of the masternode address?

I’m thinking of adding a remote masternode to a web server I host on, what memory footprint does it take and what bandwidth please?

I was wondering if theres an updated guide to setting up a new MN on a VPS with the wallet v2.2.0? I have not been able to track one down yet

I used the Vultr guide… Setup was identical except changing the folder names. Vultr.com - Ubuntu 16.04 64bit - Masternode-Setup Guide
I used Amazon Aws instead of Vultr

Possible to give methods of achieving that on one single PC?

I have been trying to setup my MN for several times, but still facing same error as below…

“errorMessage” : “Could not allocate vin XXXXXXXXXXXXX:0 for masternode XXXXXX:51472”

I googled and it seems the coins for this masternode are not in the wallet, but actually in it…

My environment is following:
[MN (Cloud Server by Vultr)]

• CPU: 1 vCore
  • RAM: 1024 MB
  • Storage: 25 GB SSD
  • pivx-2.2.1-x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz

[Wallet]

• Qt 5.6.1
  • pivx-2.2.1-win64.zip

Any possibility for this issue or any more information to solve?

Basically, your controller wallet’s masternode.conf requires the line with the correct line input in format below:
e.g. ALIAS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:51472 MASTERNODEPRIVKEY TRANSACTIONHASH INDEX.

Now, in your remote masternode’s pivx.conf, you need to make the sure same MASTERNODEPRIVKEY is put in also as per the guide above.

Sorry for the late reply. There was a script that one of the members made a while back which many used. (which I’ve lost the link to right now) But yeah, essentially, you can start each pivxd process with a separate conf & data folder locations like below example. Also with each pivx.conf using the rpcport & bind options to specify a separate port number & external IP address.There is no easy to follow guide for all this afaik unfortunately…

e.g. /usr/local/bin/pivxd -daemon -pid=/var/lib/masternodes/pivx1/pivx.pid -conf=/etc/masternodes/pivx_n1.conf -datadir=/var/lib/masternodes/pivx1

Hi master:) when I will start multiple masternodes via one VPS I shoule start one deamon or few deamon from other linux users?

Masternode PIVX from Ledger Nano S Cryptocurrency Hardware Wallet
by Ledger $95.95
Link: http://a.co/3LrKh9f

Are you a PIVX Masternode owner? Or interested in becoming one?

You can now use our Secure Pivx Masternode Tool (SPMT) to securely manage multiple PIVX masternodes while keeping the collateral safely stored on Ledger Nano S hardware wallets.
Main Features of SPMT

Create / Update / Delete masternodes configurations (automatically setting keys and retrieving collateral TXs)
Check a masternode status and have a projection of its position in queue.
Send the ‘START’ message to the network to activate masternodes
Spend masternodes rewards selecting single UTXOs (with or without including the collateral)
Bulk-spend all masternodes rewards with a single click
Governance: retrieve informations about proposals and have a budget projection overview of the current cycle
Governance: cast votes on proposals (with or without adding a random time offset to enhance privacy)

Watch video walkthrough

All information can be found on our GitHub by clicking here. It includes a detailed readme explaining all the steps from setting it up, checking the status, spending Masternode rewards and more.