Vultr.com - Ubuntu 16.04 64bit - Masternode-Setup Guide

Hi guys, this is a reworked and very noob friendly version of jakiman’s masternode guide. This will be for one masternode setup on a Ubuntu 16.04 64bit server(1GB RAM 25GB SDD) hosted by Vultr.com and will be controlled from the wallet on your local computer.

For how to connect to your server from Windows follow this post.

After you’ve got your server details and are connected, you will need to go through some initial setup before you do anything PIVX masternode related. I would recommend you follow these instructions.

For Security reasons, this is the preferred way to run a masternode. By running your masternode in this way you are protecting your coins in your local wallet on your computer, and you are not required to have your local wallet running after the masternode has been started successfully.

We will be using the debug console from pivx-qt as our local controller and the command line ./pivxd ./pivx-cli for the masternode on the server.

Step 1: On your controller wallet open Tools->Debug console and enter masternode genkey and then getaccountaddress masternode1, “masternode1” being the name you give the masternode address, which you can choose your self. Copy-paste the output you get from masternode genkey to a notepad for later, this is your MASTERNODEPRIVKEY.

IMPORTANT: Before sending any PIVX to the address you just created you should make an extra backup. This video explains well how to go about this properly using the BIP38 tool. https://youtu.be/EWl-Z3A873w?t=20s

Step 2: Send 10.000 PIV to the addresses you generated in Step 1, making sure to send exactly ten-thousand, in one transaction. Then after a minute or two, enter masternode outputs and copy-paste the output to your notepad, this is the TXID and INDEX you will need later.

Step 3: Open the masternode.conf file in the pivx data directory on your computer and edit it.(Follow pastebin.com/szztLavf if you have any trouble finding it.) Enter the following in one line:

ALIAS IP:51472 MASTERNODEPRIVKEY TXID INDEX

The ALIAS can be anything you want it to be, but for simplicity it may be best to use the name you used for the wallet address, masternode1 in this example. The IP is the IP address where the masternode can be found(your server IP address). The MASTERNODEPRIVKEY is the output from the command masternode genkey you copy-pasted earlier to your notepad.

The TXID and INDEX is the output from the command masternode outputs you also copy-pasted earlier.

Finally it should look something similar to this:

masternode1 88.88.88.88:51472 87BxAhVTQrCCVdqycRkkttVcaxZvvxCadukwHwv1s7neYFm1EAX 717e59cad55492af9d2c2468c699308139499820c7074c1ef46fa5e19614b006 -1

Step 4: Open the pivx.conf file in the pivx data directory on your computer and edit it.

Modify the contents to match this:

rpcuser=long random username
rpcpassword=longer random password
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=0
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256

Step 5: Now close the wallet on your computer.

Next we’re going to login to the sever through ssh command-line and setup the masternode wallet.

First we need to download the wallet on our server

cd

wget https://github.com/PIVX-Project/PIVX/releases/..... (get the latest x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz version)

and extract the files

tar -zxvf <file>

Second create the data directory and pivx.conf file

sudo mkdir ~/.pivx/

sudo nano ~/.pivx/pivx.conf

and modify the contents of the file to look like the following

rpcuser=your long random username
rpcpassword=your longer random password
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
listen=1
server=1
daemon=1
logtimestamps=1
maxconnections=256
masternode=1
externalip=SERVER IP ADDRESS
bind=SERVER IP ADDRESS
masternodeaddr=SERVER IP ADDRESS:51472
masternodeprivkey=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Replacing the username and password with your own, and replacing the X’s with the same MASTERNODEPRIVKEY you used before in masternode.conf.

And third we need to run the wallet and wait for it to fully sync:

cd

cd pivx-2.x.x/bin

./pivxd

to check the current block you are on run

./pivx-cli getinfo

and compare it to the latest block on a blockexplorer.
http://www.presstab.pw/phpexplorer/PIVX/index.php

Now you just need to start it, you will do this with the controlling wallet on your local computer. Start pivx-qt and open the debug console of the controlling wallet, enter masternode start-many and you should get an output something like this:

“overall” : “Successfully started masternode, failed to start 0, total 1”,
“detail” :
“status” :
“alias” : “masternode1”,
“result” : “successful”

Done.

For troubleshooting and verifying that your masternode is setup correctly, you can follow the steps in this guide.

[Official] Step By Step Guide To Setting Up Your Own Remote Masternode
Considering starting a PIVX masternode
Does PIVX have a guide to using AWS EC2 for staking?

that seems complicated as hell

Please let me know more specifically what I could make more clear fore you.

It surely is complicated if you have little to no technical experience. When you have some, this is a nice tutorial. Could use some pictures to make it even more user friendly but this is definitely a fine tutorial. Great success first time. Some more explanations would be great though! I wasn’t completely sure where i sent the 10k pivx before doing a bit of research. It is a lot of money so it would probably calm people if some more information was incorporated in the tutorial. Otherwise really great stuff!

Great guide, thank you! I am having trouble installing an ubuntu pivx wallet on my vultr masternode. When I go to gihub to search for the latest release (PIVX 2.2.1 btw) the only zip file are windows files. All of the linux files are .tar.gz extensions. Following your guide do I install the windows wallt on my ubuntu masternode? I downloaded the linux x86 tar.gz file but I cannot install it on my vultr server. Please let me know what I’m doing wrong. Thank you

Hi, thanks for your feedback! I will update the guide, but for now you need to get the latest x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz version and then extract it with tar -zxvf <file> , then from sudo mkdir ~/.pivx/ you can follow the guide again.

Thank you so much! Please keep up the great work. The guide helped me out greatly.

I am having a problem getting pivxd to start automatically on reboot.
I have made a crontab which makes it start, but then i get this error:

PIVX server starting
Error: Unable to bind to 48.71.32.77:51472 on this computer (bind returned error Cannot assign requested address (99))
Error: Failed to listen on any port. Use -listen=0 if you want this.

If I start it manually I don’t get this error, only when crontab tries to start it.

Any idea why?