Wallet Syncing Issues and Resolution

Wallet Syncing Issues

I’ve been getting a lot of messages from people that are having trouble syncing their wallet client recently. In the wake of the host outage last week, several nodes ended up on forks of various lengths or have been unable to continue syncing past certain block heights.

I have requested log files from a number of individuals to assist in providing an actual explanation on the matter, but so far nobody has given me the information i’ve requested. On my side of things, I can see that there are a rather large number of clients being banned for sending invalid data across the network; things like invalid blocks, bad transactions, incorrect masternode payments, and of course still some clients trying to run versions prior to v2.3.0.

Update [Sept 07, 2017]

Updated bootstrap up to block 800000 provided below.

Providing Helpful Information

If you are experiencing issues with syncing, and would like to provide your log information, you can email me a zipped copy of your debug.log file from your datadir. This may or may not contain useful information about syncing problems (the file is truncated periodically so errors may be too far back).

Default Datadir Locations

By default, they are located in the following locations for each OS type:

Windows
Go to Start > Run > %APPDATA%\PIVX
(or just enter the above path in explorer)

OSX
~/Library/Application Support/PIVX
(/Users/“username”/Library/Application Support/PIVX)

Linux
~/.pivx

Alternatively, follow the steps outlined in Q1/Q2 from the FAQ for Wallet Issues thread and send me the debug.log file once a stall in syncing is discovered.

Log files can be emailed to [email protected], or you can message me with a link to download/view your log file (pastebin.com may work depending on how large the log is).

Workaround (with a caveat)

If you just want to attempt to get your client up to speed and on the right chain, I am providing a bootstrap data file below. This is NOT a snapshot! Using this bootstrap will still require the wallet client to verify and validate all of the data contained within, which is the blockchain up to block 800000 in sequential order without any orphans.

Steps to use the bootstrap:

1. Stop/shutdown your wallet client if it is running.
  2. Following Q1 of the above linked thread, delete all the files indicated.
  3. Download the bootstrap from HERE.
  4. Extract the downloaded zip file, you will see it contains a bootstrap.dat file.
  5. Place the extracted bootstrap.dat file in your datadir.
  6. Start your wallet client.

When your wallet client starts up, you will notice that it begins processing the blocks contained within the bootstrap.dat file. This can be verified when using the GUI wallet as it will say (in the bottom left) Importing blocks from disk.... During this process, network connectivity is NOT required.

Now for the caveat: If your previous attempts to sync/re-sync have led you to an invalid chain and subsequent IP bans from good nodes, you may need to wait out the ban time (default is 24 hours). If you would like to find out if your IP has been banned at any point, send me a message and I can assist.

Updated with new information from June 11, 2017 and a new bootstrap link up to block 684000

How about Syncing in Mobile App? It’s start syncing and after some time simply says no connection. Is there any way to download and do the same as in desktop wallet?

HI

I hope someone can help. I’m running wallet 3.1.1 and it’s permanently out of sync. Any suggestions? I’ve not had this issue before.