What's new

Archived PIVX Dev Fuzz (April-June 2021)

fuzzbawls

Core Developer
Staff member
Code:
Title: PIVX Dev Fuzz (April-June 2021)
Name: PIVX-Dev-Fuzz-Q221
Term: 3 Cycles
Cycle Amnt: 5000 PIV
Total Amnt: 15000 PIV
Author: Fuzzbawls
Receiver: Fuzzbawls
Address: DBh9o9uRGohcDKpeiEyRiwtmTaTL3xDdev
Created: 2021-4-6
Vote Hash: 4a443f465445807ba26746c41086eac66caa9c047b103c73a1e26246b8763ccb

Abstract

This document outlines the funding and responsibilities for myself as a PIVX Core Dev and one of the maintainers of the PIVX-Project GitHub organization.

Responsibilities

As a Core Dev, my responsibilities include the following:
  • Review and test code submissions (PRs) for viability and accuracy
  • Research and develop code improvements
  • Research and backport upstream improvements
  • Provide timely gitian sigs for releases, release candidates, and test releases
  • Assist in support team and exchange troubleshooting
Additionally, my own responsibilities that I have been undertaking include the following:
  • macOS code signing for all macOS desktop software releases (PIVX-Core, SPMT, PET4L)
  • Ubuntu PPA maintainer, ensuring that new release versions are pushed and that nightly builds are properly built
  • Rust toolchain maintainer (customized toolchain to allow minimum supported linux OSes to run release binaries)
  • Snapcraft maintainer
  • Run and maintain 4 DNS seeders (2 for testnet, 2 for mainnet)
  • Maintain the Doxygen developer documentation (updated nightly)
  • Maintain the code coverage report (updated nightly)
  • Coordinate and provide tracking (including historical data) for exchange/service update responsiveness
  • Transifex management
Funding

The funding I am asking for to cover the continued duties of the responsibilities listed above is 5000 PIV per cycle.

Donations and Receiving of Additional Funds

Any funds received by the proposal payout address from any source other than the PIVX network’s in-built budget distribution system will be considered as donations.

Voting

To vote yes:
mnbudgetvote many 4a443f465445807ba26746c41086eac66caa9c047b103c73a1e26246b8763ccb yes

To vote no:
mnbudgetvote many 4a443f465445807ba26746c41086eac66caa9c047b103c73a1e26246b8763ccb no

Last edited:
Hello Fuzzbawls!

I will ask you a similar question that I asked for the other Developer Proposal.

I know CryptoMiso stats are not always an accurate comparison metric for projects, and much of what you do with 'Dev Ops' and other typical tasks you listed is completely outside of Github. Regardless, it is clear a ton of work is getting done by the Core Dev team. Can you please educate us on how that is accomplished? I am aware of the extreme focus and high skill that helps immensely, but how many hours are you putting in each week, and how long has that pace been maintained?

Thanks.

Hello Fuzzbawls!

I will ask you a similar question that I asked for the other Developer Proposal.

I know CryptoMiso stats are not always an accurate comparison metric for projects, and much of what you do with 'Dev Ops' and other typical tasks you listed is completely outside of Github. Regardless, it is clear a ton of work is getting done by the Core Dev team. Can you please educate us on how that is accomplished? I am aware of the extreme focus and high skill that helps immensely, but how many hours are you putting in each week, and how long has that pace been maintained?

Thanks.
On an average day, I spend between 8 and 14 hours working on PIVX in one capacity or another. CryptoMiso measures commits, which is one part of forward development, no doubt...but it cannot measure the time spent in review/testing nor any of the other non-code based duties that I have undertaken as part of my commitment to PIVX.

I will say that, after the 5.0 milestone was completed and settled, that I took a week to breathe, meaning that I focused more on myself and my family.

@fuzzbawls I don't think the general Community understands what software development is like, let alone the high level required, or the 'non-code based duties' that also must be done. In their mind, we have 3 developers. But, if you split your time into Development and Non-Development categories, what is the ratio? In other words, do we have the equivalent of 2.5 Developers + 0.5 of 'Dev Ops'?

Last edited: