What's new

Private key and encryption in PIVX wallet

RedIceFlower

New Pivian
Hi everyone,
maybe you can help me: I thought crypto works this way: If you create a wallet, then you can create a seed (as example many letters or 12+ words). Based on this data the private key will be generated.
Now I downloaded the pivx wallet. Just in the beginning I had a wallet with a public key to receive funds. In next step I decided to encrypt it. I entered some letters. But I think the private key did not change at all :/.
So I wonder: Is is correct that my private key is generated throught that encryption or did the wallet just create one private key in the beginning that was encrypted later?
(and if it is really a random private key, how can I safe it not to loose not all my funds, in case my computer crashes? - i have linux running)

Hello @RedIceFlower!

Before I start, it's worth noting my knowledge in PIVX Core isn't the greatest, so allow other developers to correct me if I'm wrong in regards to PIVX Core.

Currently PIVX Core does not yet support Seed Phrases unfortunately, but any keys generated prior to encryption do not change; they're just encrypted on-disk.
PIVX Core also generates a "key pool" at first start, of ~200 addresses or so.
Any keys created beyond the keypool and encryption state however, should be created under a new encrypted HD Master key, the unfortunate part of allowing a wallet to store keys on-disk prior to encryption means there is most likely ALWAYS going to be a trace of said private keys on your system without extensive OpSec, though, so this is an unfortunate side effect of the design.

If you'd like a wallet that supports encryption from the start:
I suggest MyPIVXWallet.org, a non-custodial, open-source wallet with full Seed Phrase (BIP39) support, along with strict in-memory AES-GCM encryption & a multi-factor OpSec-friendly backup system.

1. Generate a Password-ed Seed Phrase ------------> 2. (Optional) Save on-disk with encryption for convenient access

1680916093549.png
1680916357271.png

If you'd like any additional info or assistance, feel free to post here, or join the
PIVX Labs Discord.

Secured! No unencrypted keys, no on-disk leakage, along with Seed Phrase backups.