What's new

Curious about the large number of pivx's chainparamsseeds.h

Helmuts

Pivian
I'm curious..

It is impressive to see that pivx's chainparamsseeds.h contains tonnes of seeds.. do all these seeds are monitored times by times?

and, are these trusted seeds?

if yes, for the 1st and 2nd > where do you host these?

too many questions? :)

thank you.

super impressive!!

thank you for sharing (whatever you can and wish to..)
Helmuts

p.s. please correct me if I am wrong with something

The seeds are part of the wallet code. If you can't trust those seeds, you can't trust the wallet code either.

Exactly Eric,

how does a community, that tries to be as decentralized as possible, maintain all this process of the trusted seeds (creating these, approving, updating, regular checkups, hosting)?

I am really curious.. maybe you have some internal document for this? .. probably the answer is 'no', though one can always ask :)

Decentralisation tactics/approach/attempt of PoS coins has always intrigued me.. and Pivx for sure is the #1 PoS coin, at least by my understanding.

Best!
H

The seeds are part of the code. That means pretty much anyone can determine what they are, and check how they behave compared to the many thousands and thousands of other nodes, that the developer has no control over.

It is important to note that the seeds are only used to start the node connections. Very quickly, each wallet connects with many many other wallets. If there was an issue, it would become evident quickly, as consensus would fail and the chain would fork. If an investigation discovered one of the seed nodes was somehow attempting to do something 'evil', that developer would immediately have their reputation ruined. But, an 'evil' developer would not be able to achieve anything in doing this, other than to create some minor chaos on the network for a brief period, before they were promptly discovered and black-listed from the entire crypto-space.

The addresses found in chainparamsseeds.h are hard-coded "fallback" nodes that are only used in the event that DNS queries return zero results and there is no prior peers.dat information to read from. The process of how these addresses are gathered is outlined at https://github.com/PIVX-Project/PIVX/blob/master/contrib/seeds/README.md

These are not updated very often as quite a large number of addresses have been very long living across several years, and (as stated above) most instances of the PIVX wallet will never reference them under normal operating circumstances.

The addresses found in chainparamsseeds.h are hard-coded "fallback" nodes that are only used in the event that DNS queries return zero results and there is no prior peers.dat information to read from. The process of how these addresses are gathered is outlined at https://github.com/PIVX-Project/PIVX/blob/master/contrib/seeds/README.md

These are not updated very often as quite a large number of addresses have been very long living across several years, and (as stated above) most instances of the PIVX wallet will never reference them under normal operating circumstances.
Thank you. H