What's new

Is there a backend possibility for mypivx wallet?

Helmuts

Pivian
Hi,

there is a pivx web wallet https://mypivxwallet.org/ .. written by a community contributor

is there a chance there is a dashboard behind it.. like a backend? is there an information that is collected from it?

Here is the link:

k5K7exr.png

---

we forked it for $Maria (mariawallet.com). I asked to remove all analytics sharing after finding these lines..

curious if you know more about this.. maybe it is all cool and I am just paranoid.

tx

Hey @Helmuts! Thanks for asking and also checking the code, everything is commented clearly and described both in the Frontend + Code transparently, adhering to the primary pillar of Labs; transparency.

There is indeed an analytics (Grafana) dashboard for PIVX Labs, here's an old overview of how our data looks:

1674576345540.png

1674576405758.png

We use this to improve MPW development (f.e: platform or device-specific fixes, explorer speeds and faults) as well as tracking the adoption of MPW, as without analytics, it would be completely impossible for us to know where / when / how MPW is being used, leaving us blind in our mission to improve the app.

Also, all of the above is clearly explained (and fully controllable by the user) in the settings.

Maximum Analytics setting:
1674575603142.png

Minimum Analytics setting:
1674575634409.png

(Yes, no transparency report... as there's nothing to report, Disabled is Disabled, the user is a ghost).

It's worth noting that MPW adheres to the Do Not Track web standard, so if a user has declined tracking in their browser, then the app will automatically disable analytics entirely.

Do Not Track setting:
1674575730044.png

To recap; this data is EXCLUSIVELY for the purposes of:
- Improving the app (for specific browsers and devices).
- Tracking adoption (allows us to see when 'marketing events' are successful, as well as track onboarding efforts).
- Catching and fixing bugs (for example; if an MPW explorer is slow or failing, we can notice this via our analytics & fix it early).

Hopefully this clarifies everything, we have nothing to hide 😁 💜 we simply benefit from some basic data that let's us focus our efforts better, instead of "guessing" what devices, platforms are being used, and guessing the adoption of MPW and it's codebase.

You're absolutely free to hard-remove the analytics, but it's preferred if you do keep it to give Labs slightly more useful development data, the users can disable it fully themselves anyway (and for Do Not Track users, it is off by default).

Last thing I'll clarify, Labs Analytics is the ONLY proprietary module that Labs has developed, absolutely no other part of MPW or our projects use proprietary code, servers or backends, everything else is fully open-source for all eyes to see; there is a chance the analytics could also be open-source'd, but we need some DevOps powers to make this easier.

Hey @Helmuts! Thanks for asking and also checking the code, everything is commented clearly and described both in the Frontend + Code transparently, adhering to the primary pillar of Labs; transparency.

There is indeed an analytics (Grafana) dashboard for PIVX Labs, here's an old overview of how our data looks:

View attachment 801

View attachment 802

We use this to improve MPW development (f.e: platform or device-specific fixes, explorer speeds and faults) as well as tracking the adoption of MPW, as without analytics, it would be completely impossible for us to know where / when / how MPW is being used, leaving us blind in our mission to improve the app.

Also, all of the above is clearly explained (and fully controllable by the user) in the settings.

Maximum Analytics setting:
View attachment 798

Minimum Analytics setting:
View attachment 799
(Yes, no transparency report... as there's nothing to report, Disabled is Disabled, the user is a ghost).

It's worth noting that MPW adheres to the Do Not Track web standard, so if a user has declined tracking in their browser, then the app will automatically disable analytics entirely.

Do Not Track setting:
View attachment 800

To recap; this data is EXCLUSIVELY for the purposes of:
- Improving the app (for specific browsers and devices).
- Tracking adoption (allows us to see when 'marketing events' are successful, as well as track onboarding efforts).
- Catching and fixing bugs (for example; if an MPW explorer is slow or failing, we can notice this via our analytics & fix it early).

Hopefully this clarifies everything, we have nothing to hide 😁 💜 we simply benefit from some basic data that let's us focus our efforts better, instead of "guessing" what devices, platforms are being used, and guessing the adoption of MPW and it's codebase.

You're absolutely free to hard-remove the analytics, but it's preferred if you do keep it to give Labs slightly more useful development data, the users can disable it fully themselves anyway (and for Do Not Track users, it is off by default).

Last thing I'll clarify, Labs Analytics is the ONLY proprietary module that Labs has developed, absolutely no other part of MPW or our projects use proprietary code, servers or backends, everything else is fully open-source for all eyes to see; there is a chance the analytics could also be open-source'd, but we need some DevOps powers to make this easier.

Thank you JsKitty for such a detailed explanation.

Good job on the web wallet - it is great!!

Helmuts

hmm.. have to admit that it does worry me seeing us mentioned at your dashboard:
1674576405758-png.802

maybe I would feel safer if was informed of data being shared with 3rd part.. not at the moment :/ .. hmmm... pivx should be a privacy coin after all..

H

the more I think the more paranoid I get...

.. will not comment more, don't want to get banned here > too much to be learnt.

.. I'm considering taking down our online wallet.. this doesn't seem to be the product that relates to privacy and transparency

hmm.. have to admit that it does worry me seeing us mentioned at your dashboard:
1674576405758-png.802

maybe I would feel safer if was informed of data being shared with 3rd part.. not at the moment :/ .. hmmm... pivx should be a privacy coin after all..

H
It is mentioned directly in the codebase that MPW does this (it's not hidden), if you are forking a codebase, you should know what's contained, especially as we make it very clear with commented documentation.

As I said, this simply helps us to build MPW, without this we're working 100% blindly, which although is certainly the best for privacy, it is not good for a project's growth or direction.

PIVX.org uses Google Analytics (and this forum collects your IP), this is equal, it is simply to help forward the project.

the more I think the more paranoid I get...

.. will not comment more, don't want to get banned here > too much to be learnt.

.. I'm considering taking down our online wallet.. this doesn't seem to be the product that relates to privacy and transparency
I see no need for this paranoia: everything is perfectly transparent, and it's a simple "off switch" to disable, MPW gives you and users FULL control of your data, I don't understand the issue.

We built a custom analytics system instead of using Google Analytics, as we (PIVX Labs) wanted to give users MORE privacy, Google is the least privacy friendly analytics option, so this is far preferred, no?

Also, it's only a single `return;` to disable every single analytic capability of MPW (at code-level), again, I don't see the issue.

But you are more than free to do as you feel is best. 🙏
And don't fear being banned so much, it's absolutely fine to speak your opinion, and we'll gladly discuss further if you like.